Tuesday, 25 October 2011

Arrival - Migration Interview

Hello everybody. Today we shared with one another some great stories about our families, friends, and even ourselves. I find it interesting listening to others' stories because we are all so very unique. Where we were born is different. If we have migrated (across a physical border) or not is different. We all have lead and lead very different lives and sometimes I find it so surprising yet engaging when I get to hear about the lives of others.
I decided to talk with my father for the Interview Assignment. It's funny because when I think about it, I never really ask a lot of questions pertaining to his journeys to Canada. I never really thought to ask, which saddens me in a way because one would think I'd be more curious because that's how I usually am. (Maybe because I live with the man and see him everyday, so he can get kind of annoying). Regardless, he was happy to hear about this interview. Growing up, he loved to share stories. He usually brings a good chuckle around the dinner table, making people laugh and feel comfortable. As I asked him questions about his migrating to Canada, I found out information that I had no idea about before. I had not known he needed a sponsor to come here. I mean I knew him and his family came from being very poor, yet I hadn't realized some of the struggles he mentioned. He knew zero spaccato meaning "below zero." (I am referring to him not being able to speak English). It was funny to listen to what he brought over with him to Canada. They actually used big metal chests (kind of like a big toolbox) to carry and hold anything that could fit. They didn't have much but anything of necessity (any clothing, shoes, utensils) was brought over. I believe out of all the things they even had the pleasure of taking with them an Italian cheese known as Caciocavallo. This was something special to be enjoyed by all. As I listened to his stories and discoveries I thought about how lucky I am to be his daughter. He had dreams of coming to Canada for a better future and has in turn given me the dreams which I feel so fortunate for.   I respect him as a person, as a father, and everything he went through growing up and raising his brothers and sisters. I am glad I had this opportunity to do this interview and am happy to share his story of arrival, struggles, and dreams he had and shared as a boy, as a son and brother, as a father, and as a man he has become to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment