How would one feel when thinking back to their homelands? How would it feel to return to the homeland? Every individual has different feelings with their connection to their homeland: happy, sad, disappointed, frustrated, etc. There are various reasons as to why migrants leave their homes. They all have memories of what was, but where do these memories reside? Is there some sort of 'trigger' to remembering? The feeling of nostalgia is one of home sickness and a longing to be back home. There can be positive memories like "life was so good" yet there can be many negative feelings as well. In class we discussed certain 'triggers' of remembering. Many people tend to push away any negative experiences, leaving that memory in the back of their mind. Maybe they experienced something traumatic in their past that sets off this 'trigger';for example, they can not deal with death because they have experienced losing a loved one. Sometimes it is difficult to deal with loss and grief, hence why people push aside their feelings. I strongly feel that people shouldn't dwell on the past. They need to focus on the present and move on. They need to see what is good and what is real. I believe if an individual is strong enough to visit their homeland (their past) then they should. But if thoughts are going to lead to depression, in a state of melancholy, then they need to think twice before engaging in something they are not ready for.
The trailer for "Through Your Eyes" was a good overview of how the second generation feels. It's like a "bridge between two worlds that move at different speeds." There are indeed differences from first and second (and third) generation migrants. Conflicts do arise. I've experienced and witnessed this myself. Growing up, I remember my best friend and how they used to go to church every Sunday. They are Roman Catholic so attending church is a part of their religion. I always remember the questioning and rebutal coming from my friend. "I don't want to go...Why do I have to go...This is frustrating," were some of the many comments I heard. Her father, speaking a bit of English, would respond, "Because you have to...It's good." There was a conflict of religion and out of respect for her dad, she would go to church. Other experiences of conflict could be with politics, language, independence, shame, etc. I remember watching a movie called "My Big Fat Greek Wedding". Toula, the daughter, came from a very traditional Greek family. Her dad was very proud of their heritage and had nothing but great things to say about being Greek: the language, the food, the culture, etc. But I noticed feelings of shame throughout the film. For example, Toula would notice the caucasean girls at school with their wonderbread sandwiches. She dreamed of sitting with these girls and eating her very own white wonderbread sandwich (not her lamb and potatoes).
Here's a funny YouTube clip of Russell Peters about Immigrant Parents (vs Canadian parents): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA9O3hMDRbw
...Makes you think eh!
No comments:
Post a Comment